Thursday 11 September 2014

Day 6 - Penrith to Hamilton

Wake up song was obviously I Would Walk 500 Miles - Kenny and the Scots (not the Proclaimers for some reason)

I've done this leg before and the tarmac is awful. I mean really awful, the worst ever. The views are awful and it's flat which in my eyes is also awful (hills break rides up into chunks and break the monotony for me). I did it alone too.

This time I was prepared for a bad day but riding in the Vodafone Express made the day fly by. We saw loads of punctures en route and Andy said how lucky we had been to have no mechanicals. I tried to stop him....

5 minutes later we had 3 punctures including a slash in my back tyre.

I fixed it by making a makeshift tyre boot from an energy gel wrapper (had to get Finn to eat the gel as I'm sick of the sight of them) which got me 30 miles to the base camp and my spare tyre.
I led the group into Hamilton Racecourse and was excited since I know the area and my mother in law was waiting to greet me.

Another good sunny day.





No comments:

Post a Comment