Friday 5 September 2014

The Grand Départ - Yorkshire to Land's End

I stayed over at Neil's house in Bolton on Thursday night after work so we could get on the road at 630 this morning. As it was my mum's birthday I had the perfect excuse to carb load with my family at the local Italian. Garlic bread and a pesto, chicken and pine nut pasta.

After not a great night's sleep we drove down and arrived at Land's End base camp at about 2pm. First impressions were wow at the scale of it, a huge marquee, hundreds of rowed green tents and a big bike storage area. The weather was 23 degrees and it felt good!




Neil and I checked in, got allocated a tent, racked the bike and went to the Land's End signpost for the obligatory photos. 



After returning the hire car we started to bump into more Vodafone riders and make introductions. Tea for me at 6 was a 3 bean salad and chicken breast with veg and potatoes though there was plenty of other choices.

After a big Vodafone Foundation Team photo we sat through the hour long rider briefing which covered safety, medical, route and so on. The main theme on route was PACE YOURSELF! Andy Cook, ride director, did also say that by day 6 we'll really be feeling it.

I'm writing this in my tent at 930pm hoping to sleep until 530 tomorrow, I definitely need it after 2 poor nights sleep. On the plus side we will have REAL BEDS at Bath! A nice surprise. Can't wait to get going.


No comments:

Post a Comment