Tuesday 15 April 2014

Tuesday 15th April - This week's goals and a bit about the event

I'm writing this at 06:30 while waiting for my porridge to digest before riding into work. It's dead time so why not update a blog..!

21 weeks to go.

This week the Intermediate training plan is going a bit softer on me but it's still a lot of riding:

Tues 2 hrs
Thurs 2 hrs
Sat 2.5 hrs
Sun 3 hrs

So I'm ignoring that and am planning to break the 200 mile barrier this week (a first for me) over the following rides which include my first serious back to backer:

Commuting
Tues - 18 miles, 1 hr
Wed - 18 miles, 1 hr

Riding to Scotland
Fri - 90 miles - 7 hrs
Sat - 90 miles - 7 hrs

I think the idea is to ride as much as possible so I'm working on that mantra rather than following the training plan to the letter (which gives me a get out clause if there's a tough week and I'm not on form!).

I haven't posted much about the event itself yet. The route hasn't been fully announced yet as far as I know but it's going to look something like this:


I have had to book the laundry service so far, 3 washes of kit during the 9 days (drop off in the evening, comes back clean early the next morning) so I'm gradually (bib shorts alone are £70+) pulling together 3 sets of kit to ensure I get a fresh set every day.

There's more information on the route  here:
http://www.rideacrossbritain.com/2014-ride/the-route/

6 comments:

  1. Think you'll be ok if you put the training in!
    Excellent training plan, hope you have some chamois butt'r.
    Have you met the other rider's yet. There will probably be a broad spectrum of riders and abilities doing it, so just enjoy it

    ReplyDelete
  2. No butt'r yet but trialled Sudocrem (rejected as too sticky) and Vaseline (jury is still out)! Need to get it right though as I've heard some horror stories.

    I have a ride lined up with a group of event riders in June sometime in the Peaks so will be good to get to know some faces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you only need 2 washes of kit if you've got 3 sets? Fences / fence posts? Or are you planning to show up the night before kick-off with dirty kit and get it nicely laundered?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I took fences and fenceposts wouldn't I need a spade and concrete too? Where are we putting this fence anyway? Good point about the laundry though, I'm a salesman's dream!

      Delete
    2. Right, laundry... There's definitely 3 overnight washes - Here's the details "Service wash and dry for 2 pairs of shorts/bib shorts and 2 cycling jerseys at three camps. Strictly No underwear, socks or gloves allowed. ". It will be back by 05:30 so that means I only need 2 full sets of gear. Dave, you've just saved me buying another set of bib shorts and they're about £80!

      Delete
  4. Glad you've sorted that one out. So you've established you can stuff your laptop down your bib shorts... How much concrete, fence posts, fencing and spades have you got room for?

    ReplyDelete