Monday 21 April 2014

Well that was Scotland, and it was ace!

I achieved my goal - 2 substantial back to back rides and it didn't kill me. Really pleased with myself and proof that after 2 months putting in the miles it's possible to get from feeling totally spent after 25 miles (end of February) to a total of 187 miles over 2 days with more in the tank (end of April). I also beat another target of mine, over 200 miles in one week (I managed 222). Next target will be 300.

Day one from Ilkley to Penrith was a cracker, I was joined by Paul and Clive from ICC. Clive peeled off at Burnsall with a creaking bottom bracket and Paul made it to the top of Fleet Moss where we went our separate ways.

(that's Pen-y-ghent just peeking out behind my left shoulder)



I dropped down the huge descent into Hawes and ate this beautiful thing...


Then I cycled up this valley into Cumbria and to Kirby Stephen. I've decided that due to the scenery, the deserted smooth tarmac and the friendly gradient this is my favourite valley for road biking so far!


Once at the riverside cafe in Appleby, I realised there IS a solution to the age old problems of where to store your bike and how to ensure the toilet roll is accessible without putting your back out to reach round for it.


Finally I ended my day with fish and chips followed by rhubarb crumble and cream and a night in The Ginney B&B at J41 of the M6 which I thoroughly recommend (£57 B&B for the night, breakfast was excellent). 83 miles in the bag.

On Saturday I woke to bright sun, a light tailwind and cows walking past the window at breakfast! Home made muesli, grapefruit and orange segments, 2 poached eggs on toast and some toast with real butter and Marmite set me off in a good mood.

The road to Carlisle was great but that was the best bit, Carlisle was a typical city centre for cycling and the A7 out of it was busy. This then peeled off to the B something all the way up beside the M6 to Gretna then the M74. I got caught by a random who chatted and helped pass some time before he left at Ecclefechan.

The next 5 hrs from Lockerbie weren't great to be honest. The tarmac (yawn...) was broken with loose stones everywhere and the scenery after being spoilt in the Dales and Cumbria was almost non existent until Dumfries and Galloway (these photos kind of sum up the 5 hrs).



This is day 6 on my LEJOG ride and it's a means to an end definitely - get from the nice bits to the nice bits as directly as possible.

Does anyone know what this sculpture represents? I came across it en route somewhere near Moffat on the Sustrans bike path.

Anyway, things started looking up when I ate this (microwaved) scotch pie from a VG

And arrived at Chatelherault overlooking my final destination, Hamilton, at about half 5 with 104 miles on the clock, a sunburnt ear and my lovely mother-in-law wielding a bottle of chilled wine

Today's top quote from a Scottish Neighbour seeing me clad in lycra "I've seen more meat on a butcher's pencil"!


Also big thanks to Stu for giving me the 22 mile Lochs and Windmills Tour of Ayrshire this morning :-)

2 comments:

  1. Bloody fantastic!! Btw, how do you pronounce Ecclefechan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do it while coughing up some flem you'll get the sound about right

      Delete