Wednesday 23 April 2014

Training - how do you know if you've peaked too early?

Al said to me recently careful you don't peak too soon. This has been in the back of my mind occasionally but I thought more about it this morning on my ride in to work after having done the two big back to back rides this weekend.

The question has to be, how do you know when you've peaked? I think the answer to that must lie within the training plan and the training goal but as I've never trained for an event this big before this concept is new territory for me.

I'm assuming that you set a training goal and work up to it, and your peak is when you hit that goal. If you hit that goal early then you'll either peak too early or need to set another more challenging goal.

First issue with that theory then is the training plan I have is a monthly one, so I can't see what the peak actually looks like in August. I think I need to try and get a copy of all the months so I can see what I should be aiming at. I can then decide if the intermediate plan is right for me and I'll know what the peak is.

Second issue is that I'm following the training plan very loosely anyway, working more on the advice given to me about just riding my bike as much as I can. "The more miles you put in beforehand the easier the event will be" were the words. This method doesn't have a training peak, other than perhaps the event itself, so peaking for me is the actual event and anything less that 1000 miles in 9 days is still building up to it.

I need to learn more about this area but I'm not going to loose any sleep over it, I'm just going to ride as much as I can and that philosophy is definitely making me stronger and quicker at the moment, even with my laptop stuffed down the back of my bibshorts on tonight's commute! That's because I forgot my rucksack in case you were wondering...


No comments:

Post a Comment